Friday, May 21, 2010

A Visit to Historic Oakland Cemetery...

I used to have a phobia about going to a cemetery, but I took a photography class a couple of years ago and we visited Oakland cemetery to take pictures. The goal was to be creative with the camera and take unusual and artistic pictures of what we saw. It was a real eye opener and quite a fun challenge. It's hard to take the ordinary and make it look extra-ordinary, especially when you are hot and sweaty and ready to pass out. LOL!

A couple of weeks ago I visited Oakland cemetery again and took a few shots. This was before I started my recent photography class so I was not shooting in manual yet. I took these in aperture priority mode (AV). This cemetery in particular has a lot of statues and figurines and they are so beautiful and evoke a lot of feeling. Hope I was able to capture that feeling in these pictures.

The interesting part is that I am now shooting in manual mode and actually think I know what I am doing. LOL! Tomorrow we have our class field trip and we are going to Oakland cemetery! So it is neat that I am sharing these pictures with you now because we will be able to compare them to the ones I take tomorrow and see how well I have improved as a photographer since these pictures were taken. Talk about pressure! LOL!

This statue is one of my favorites! There is just something about her that I find so touching and it moves me to the core!



Here is another one of my favorites!



I like looking up at the statues and seeing them against the sky.


Another monument against the sky shot.


The sky came out a beautiful shade of blue in the shot below.


Another favorite of mine.


I thought this was a cool shot.


I felt something looking at these two empty chairs with the grave marker just off to the side.


I took this shot from the car as we were leaving.


Here is a close-up of the same statue...


Well that's if for today! Thanks for visiting. Until next time, keep on snappin'!

1 comment:

  1. Great pictures. I love photography also, but mostly do wildlife and nature. I was for years a photographer for the "Army Times". Loved every minute of it.
    Have a GREAT DAY!!! and keep posting your pictures.
    Bob L.
    www.happycardmaker.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for commenting. It is much appreciated.